It won’t be long until we celebrate Independence Day... at least that is the official celebration. On the 4th of July in 1776 the members of congress of the thirteen original states finally came to agreement and signed the Declaration of Independence. As history informs us, it wasn’t until 1781 that the war was over... 5 years. Of course there were subsequent battles, but every year on the 4th of July we have a chance to celebrate... How we actually celebrate is a personal matter, but in the parks of America, there are wind bands playing patriotic music to remind us of our freedom.
Listen to Wind & Rhythm, Sunday at 7:00 pm, on Classical 88.7-1
- An Outdoor Overture: Aaron Copland (US Marine Band, Col. Michael J. Colburn)
- American Journey: John Williams (US Coast Guard Band, Captain Kenneth Megan)
- Yankee Doodle: Morton Gould (US Marine Band, Col. Michael Colburn)
- New England Triptych - Be Glad Then America - When Jesus Wept - Chester, William Schuman (US Air Force Band, Lowell Graham)
- My Country 'Tis Of Thee: Bruce Broughton (Brass Of The Potomac, Stephen Bulla)