Local & Regional
8:47 am
Fri October 28, 2011

Man Burned in House Explosion Dies

Ponca City, OK –
PONCA CITY, Okla. (AP) An 84-year-old Ponca City man has died after being burned when his house exploded.

Officials at St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, Kan., say Robert Silvy died Thursday of injuries suffered in the explosion and fire on Wednesday.

Ponca City Fire Marshal David VanBuskirk told The Ponca City News that it appears Silvy mistakenly turned on a valve to a gas line running into the kitchen rather than to a wall heater. VanBuskirk says the line was uncapped and the gas exploded when Silvy tried to light the wall heater.