Local & Regional
Wed November 21, 2012
Overdose Cited in Death of Narconon Patient
McALESTER, Okla. (AP) — The state medical examiner says a 20-year-old woman who died at an Oklahoma rehabilitation center died from an accidental drug overdose.
Stacy Murphy was found dead in July at Narconon Arrowhead near McAlester. Medical examiner's spokeswoman Amy Elliott tells the McAlester News-Capital that Murphy died from acute oxymorphone toxicity. Oxymorphone is a narcotic painkiller.
Murphy is one of four patients who've died at Narconon since 2009. Her parents have filed suit against Narconon, alleging that the facility's actions were "grossly negligent."
Narconon uses saunas, vitamins, mild exercise and a special diet in its three-month treatment, which is based on techniques developed by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.
Narconon has said it's cooperating with investigators and that Murphy's death was "devastating."