Tulsa, OK – A book is a gift that one can open again and again, as the old saying goes. On today's StudioTulsa, just in time for the holidays, we check in with Nancy Pearl, our longtime book reviewer, in order to collect some can't-miss, page-turning, worth-reading suggestions for gift-giving --- and for list-making!
Here (as listed below) are the titles and authors that Nancy spoke of on our program today, as well as a few more of her recommendations (which we didn't have time for).
For the history buff:
1) Amanda Foreman. "A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War"
2) Neal MacGregor. "A History of the World in 100 Objects"
3) Candice Millard. "The Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President"
For the middle-grade reader:
4) Carmen Agra Deedy. "The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale"
5) Richard Peck. "Secrets at Sea"
6) Maile Meloy. "The Apothecary"
For those who savor well-written books:
7) Sebastian Barry. "On Canaan's Side"
8) Tom McNeal. "To Be Sung Underwater"
9) Yannick Murphy. "The Call"
10) Ali Smith. "There But For The"
11) Wesley Stace. "By George"
For someone with an offbeat sense of humor:
12) Percival Everett. "Erasure"
13) Arthur Phillips. "The Tragedy of Arthur"
For the teenager who loved "The Hunger Games":
14) Marie Lu. "Legend"
15) Veronica Roth. "Divergent"
For memoir and biography fans:
16) Susan Orlean. "Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend"
17) Meghan O'Rourke. "The Long Goodbye"
18) Lucette Lagnado. "The Arrogant Years: One Girl's Search for Her Lost Youth, from Cairo to Brooklyn"
For mystery fans:
19) S. J. Rozan. "Ghost Hero"
And a few more suggestions (which we didn't have time to discuss on the air) . . .
For dark fantasy (or horror) fans:
Glen Duncan. "The Last Werewolf"
For readers who love to try first novels:
Jo Ann Beard. "In Zanesville"
Chad Harbach. "The Art of Fielding"
Meg Howrey. "Blind Sight"
Haley Tanner. "Vaclav & Lena"
For the youngest children:
Barbara McClintock. "Adele and Simon"
Paul Schmid. "A Pet for Petunia"