Last Night of the BBC Proms 2012
The world's biggest classical music festival wraps with a bang! Join us live from London for this event that stops the UK in its tracks.
Listen live, Saturday, September 8 from 8-11 pm, on Classical 88.7-1
2004's BBC Young Musician of the Year, violinist Nicola Benedetti, and tenor Joseph Calleja join the BBC Symphony Orchestra and BBC Symphony Chorus, as the Brits bring out the noisemakers for this serious and silly don't-miss-it concert.
This year's program features a selection of Czechs in acknowledgement of the sterling work of the BBC SO's outgoing chief, Jiří Bělohlávek, while contributions from 2012's anniversary composers include Delius's valedictory settings of Walt Whitman. More familiar home-grown music brings down the curtain in time-honoured fashion.
- BBC Symphony Orchestra
- BBC Symphony Chorus
- Jiří Bělohlávek, conductor
- Nicola Benedetti, violin
- Joseph Calleja, tenor
- Mark Simpson – sparks (BBC Commission, World Premiere)
- Suk – Towards a New Life
- Delius – Songs of Farewell
- Verdi – Un ballo in maschera – 'Forse la soglia attinse… Ma se m'è forza perderti'
- Massenet – Werther – 'Pourquoi me réveiller?'
- Bruch – Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor
- Puccini – Tosca – 'E lucevan le stelle'
- Puccini – Turandot – 'Nessun dorma'
- Williams – Olympic Fanfare and Theme
- Dvořák – Overture 'Carnival'
- Shostakovich – The Gadfly – Romance
- Brodszky – The Toast of New Orleans – 'Be my love'
- Lara – Granada
- Rodgers – Carousel – 'You'll never walk alone' (arr. Jackson)
- Wood – Fantasia on British Sea-Songs
- Elgar – Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D major ('Land of Hope and Glory')
- Arne – Rule Britannia Parry – Jerusalem (orch. Elgar)
- Traditional – The National Anthem
(As is the nature with all live broadcasts, this schedule is subject to change.)